Then off we went. We dissected these word problems, underlined key phrases that they felt helped them to know what type of problem they were reading, and drew visual models for many of them. The visual models are what really helped to solidify which numbers you were multiplying or dividing. I wrote the original expression we came up with in black and then any work we did was done in red.
They all agreed that this helped them to better tell the difference between the two types of problems. As we speak, I'm typing up a mixed bag of word problems to give them tomorrow and see if it really stuck! Let's hope so!
I am also having my students work through the word problems in my Multiplying Fractions Task Cards and Dividing Fractions Task Cards. You can get those at my Teachers Pay Teachers store HERE.